The field involving the care and treatment of infants, children and teenagers is called Pediatric nursing. The career is a perfect choice for those who want to be a nurse and like the company of kids as well. The demand of the professionals of the field is also on the rise and it is all set to become one of the most sought after profession in the times to come.
It is very important for you to become a registered nurse before you can take up Pediatric nursing as a career. A bachelor’s degree is a must to pursue the career; however, a masters degree enhances your chances of getting a better paying job and a higher rank in the organization. The person also needs to complete an internship related to the field in a hospital or clinic before clearing the examination conducted by PNCB – Pediatric Nursing Certification Board.
The greatest point to know here is that with the coming up of online courses, you now have the option of completing the study right from the comfort of your home as per your own convenience. You do not need to visit the college campus or let go of your current job.
The job responsibilities of a pediatric nurse involves
- Physical examination
- Giving prescribed medications to hospitalized children
- Providing support to young children and prepare them mentally to take up the medication as well as the necessary test
- Keeping a check on important factors including body temperature, heart rate, blood pressure and respiratory rate of the patient
- Sample collection, making and passing on to the lab for further testing
- Understanding the signs of pain or discomfort as a young child might not have the necessary communication skills to express the problem
- Communicating the details related to health of the child to his parents
- Teaching the parents about the details to take care of the child once he is discharged from the hospital. This includes information related to medicines, dressing or diet restrictions.
Pediatric nurses have the option of specializing in one of the field as per their interest. The options include
- Neonatal Care
- Neonatal ICU
- Medical Unit
- Surgical Unit
- Specialization in dealing patients suffering from a particular disease like cancer
A pediatric nurse can work in a number of different areas including
- Pediatrician offices
The point to note here is that the work environment can be tensed and stressful since the health of small children is at stake.
The salary of the professionals of the field depends on a number of different factors including experience, degree and location to name a few. The range varies from $35,000 to $50,000.