Thursday, May 24, 2012
The basic job responsibilities of a healthcare administrator involve planning, directing, controlling and supervising the delivery of services in a health care facility. This may involve:
• Managing the healthcare facility
• Managing a clinical department
• Managing the practice work of a group of physicians
The job opportunities are available in the following areas:
• Hospital Administration: The administrator is responsible for day-to-day working of the hospital and ensures that all processes are carried out smoothly. They create work schedules, manage records, handle finances and manage inventory.
• Clinical Administration: A clinical administrator’s job varies in accordance to the specialty of the clinic. However, it involves formulation and implementation of policies, creation of budgets and creation of reports to name a few.
• Nursing Home Administration: Nursing homes are those places which provides residential facilities to patients. Since they require constant care and stay at the facility for long, the responsibilities of administrator are unique. Apart from managing the patients, they take care of staff, finances, admissions and property to name a few.
• Health Information Management: This involves the safeguarding of patient’s information from unauthorized access and maintenance of the records. The technology of the field is constantly evolving and the person needs to update his knowledge after regular intervals.
Depending on location, position and education, the salary varies a lot; however, the annual salary fluctuates from $48,300 to $137,800.
In order to get a job in the field, a Bachelor’s degree is necessary. There are a number of different schools in the country offering the same and the modern day employers certainly prefers the individuals who are job ready. For those interested in climbing the administration level can also opt for a master’s degree in the field. In the modern times, a number of colleges are offering online education as well. This simply means that you can study from your home at a pace best suited as per your needs.